There are many responses to conflict including:
- Talking about it
- Physical violence
- Ignoring the problem
- Forcing a resolution
The problem with most of these responses is that the outcome generally isn’t one that both parties will be happy with.
Conflict resolution is a series of steps which can be used in a relationship to enable both partners to find a mutually acceptable solution to conflict and to restore good terms. It does not focus on blame but looks for agreement that something has gone wrong and develops a way forward. It usually involves a mediator who is able to see both sides, ask questions and intervene if necessary.
These are the steps that we can work through with you both:
- Identify positions (what are each of you really saying)
- Learn more about the true needs and desires of each partner
- Ask clarifying questions for more information
- Brainstorm possible solutions
- Discuss how each solution would affect each of you and figure out possible compromises
- Agree upon a solution
- Implement solutions
- Re-evaluate solutions, if necessary